Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Pegi Young's music stands on its own, regardless of association with husband Neil. She plays the Iron Horse on Tuesday, April 10th


Pegi Young (click for high res)

Pegi Young began writing songs and playing guitar while still in high school, but eventually put her creative instincts on hold to attend to the demands of family life. Pegi and Neil's experiences caring for their son Ben, who was born with cerebral palsy, led Pegi to co-found the non-profit Bridge School, whose innovative methods of aiding children with severe speech and physical impairments have established the school as a leader in its field over the past 25 years. Pegi and Neil have also been the forces behind the annual all-star Bridge School Benefit concerts, and Pegi continues to serve as president of the school's Board of Directors. 
 
Pegi found herself drawn towards music again after she began touring as backup singer with her husband's band beginning in 2000. With her kids grown and the confidence gained from performing numerous live shows, she finally had the time and focus to begin recording her own songs. 

"When I was younger, I was way, way too shy to do anything but very amateur performing," Young states. "But it eventually became a matter of having these opportunities and building some confidence and thinking, do I really want to be on my deathbed going 'Damn, I wish I'd made some records'? So I did it, and I loved it. And then I had more songs, so I did it again." 

Having gained further experience from making her first album and touring extensively to support it, she took a more hands-on role in her latest album Foul Deeds' recording process.


Neil and Pegi Young perform at the Bridge School Benefit in 2008.

With a pair of personally charged, deeply felt albums under her belt, Pegi Young is embracing music-making with passion and pragmatism. 

"I'm 57, so I'm never gonna be the next big thing, but I'm cool with that," she concludes. "If I was younger, I might be more focused on the commerce part of it. But I'm not a 20-year-old trying to make a living, so I don't have to conform to some record company's idea of whatever they're looking for that week. In that way, I guess I can be truly independent and focus on the creative part. I have no idea where it will go from here, but I'm having fun and I feel really, really good about what I've done so far."

Rocky Roberts, long-time guitar technician for Neil Young (and many other fine musicians)  opens the show. His debut album, Rocky Roberts & Friends features performances by Nils Lofgren, Bill Kirchen, Sarah Harmer and many more friends.

This evenings show at the Iron Horse is sure to have a great famiy vibe and plenty of amazing songs and performances.

Tickets are available at Northampton Box Office, 76 Main Street, 413. 586. 8686 and online at IHEG.com
Coming Soon to the Iron Horse:

Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul, and Mary- Sunday, April 15th

Jonathan Edwards- Friday, April 20th
Tom Rush- Saturday, April 28th

Loudon Wainwright III- Friday, May 11th
David Lindley- Tuesday, May 15th
Jon Cleary- Wednesday, May 16th
Kinky Friedman- Wednesday, June 6th

No comments: